Texas A&M’s overtime victory over the then-No. 9 Tennessee Volunteers last Saturday yielded weekly honors for quarterback Trevor Knight and running back Trayveon Williams on Monday.
Knight, who also earned Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week honors on Sunday, was named the Southeastern Conference Offensive POTW and earned weekly “Great 8” honors from the Davey O’Brien Award. Williams earned SEC Freshman of the Week for the third time this season.
Knight, a graduate transfer from San Antonio, Texas via the University of Oklahoma, accounted for five touchdowns, including the game-winning touchdown run in the second overtime. Knight rushed for three scores and passed for two more as he generated 349 yards of total offense. Knight passed for 239 yards and rushed for 110 yards to help the Aggies gain 592 total yards on 84 plays (7.0 yards per play).
Williams, a freshman from Houston, Texas, became the first true freshman to surpass the 200-yard barrier in rushing yards in program history with 217 yards on 28 carries, both career bests. Williams also scored on a 7-yard run, marking his fourth straight game with at least one touchdown. His 217 yards were the 10th highest rushing output in school history.
Collectively, Knight and Williams became the first Texas A&M duo to rush for 100- and 200-plus yards in a game in more than 25 years. Prior to Saturday, the last 100/200 duo was quarterback Bucky Richardson (180) and running back Darren Lewis (207) against SMU in 1990.
The victory over the Volunteers improved the Aggies’ record to 6-0 and put them atop the Southeastern Conference west division standings with a 4-0 conference record. The victory made the Aggies bowl-eligible for the eight straight season. It was the Aggies’ fourth win over a team ranked in the Associated Press top 10 during the Kevin Sumlin era and it was the 12th victory against a ranked opponent under Sumlin. It was Texas A&M’s first win over a top 10-ranked opponent at Kyle Field since beating No. 9 Nebraska, 9-6, in 2010, and it was the first time Texas A&M has beaten a top 10 team at Kyle Field as a top 10 team since 1975.
SEC Weekly Honors
Trevor Knight, QB, Texas A&M
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
JK Scott, P, Alabama
Traveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M
Jalen Hurts, QB, Alabama
Jon Toth, C, Kentucky
Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
Davey O’Brien Award Week 5 "Great 8" Performances:
Jake Browning, Washington, So., 6-2, 209, Folsom, Calif.
- Threw a school-record six touchdown passes against just six incompletions (22-of-28, 304 yards) and rushed for two more scores in a 70-21 victory over Oregon.
Sam Darnold, USC, R-Fr., 6-4, 225, Capistrano Beach, Calif.
- Topped the 350-yard passing mark (25-for-37, 358 yards) and accounted for all three touchdowns as the Trojans upended 21st-ranked Colorado, 21-17.
Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee, Sr., 6-3, 210, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Was 28-for-47 for 398 yards with one touchdown, and carried 17 times for 57 yards, in a 45-38 double-overtime loss to No. 8 Texas A&M.
Luke Falk, Washington State, Jr., 6-4, 216, Logan, Utah
- Threw for 357 yards and four touchdowns while completing 30 of 41 pass attempts as Washington State upset No. 15 Stanford by a 42-16 final.
Jalen Hurts, Alabama, Fr., 6-2, 209, Channelview, Texas
- Totaled four touchdowns (two passing, two rushing) and connected on 13 of 17 passes for 253 yards in a 49-30 victory over No. 16 Arkansas.
Trevor Knight, Texas A&M, Sr., 6-1, 215, San Antonio, Texas
- Rushed 15 times for 110 yards and three touchdowns and was 17 of 34 for 239 yards and two scores in a 45-38 double-overtime win over No. 9 Tennessee.
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, Jr., 6-1, 212, Austin, Texas
- Connected on 22 of 31 passes for 390 yards and three touchdowns and also rushed for one TD and 20 yards in a 45-40 victory over Texas.
Will Worth, Navy, Sr., 6-1, 205, Valrico, Fla.
· Helped Navy pull off its biggest upset since 1984 by running for 115 yards and a TD on 32 carries and completing 3 of 5 passes for 76 yards and two scores against No. 6 Houston.