Sea-Tac Airport is expecting heavy travel traffic this holiday season - on average about 55,000 departing passengers each weekday.
The busiest travel day is Thursday, Dec. 22 with about 60,000 departing passengers expected, followed by Wednesday, Dec. 21 and Friday, Dec. 23. Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day will be the lightest travel days.
There are some simple ways you can make sure you get through airport security faster during a busy holiday travel week.
1) Put your ID in your carry-on after it's been checked by TSA with your boarding pass. People often try to hold onto their IDs as they go through the scanner. They often lose it as a result and scramble back to find it. TSA says once the officer has checked your ID and your boarding pass, you won't need it again until you get to the gate.
2) Laptops must be taken out of your bag, placed in one of the bins by themselves, and sent through the scanner on their own. Be sure to do this otherwise, it has to be re-scanned, thereby slowing everyone down.
3) Tablets can remain in your carry-on.
4) Take your cell phone out of your pocket and put it in your carry-on.
5) You must take your shoes off before going through the scanner, so wear lighter shoes that are easy to slip on and off.
6) Go easy on the bling. Avoid wearing a lot of jewelry that you're going to have to take off.
7) If your toiletries with liquids are in your carry-on, have them in a bag and ready to take out quickly. Remember the 3-1-1 rule:
•3.4 oz (100 mL) bottle or less for all liquids, gels, and aerosols; placed in a
•1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag to hold all small bottles; and
•1 bag per passenger placed in a screening bin.
8) Before you put it in your carry-on, check this list for prohibited items.
9) Don't take wrapped gifts through security. The TSA may ask you to unwrap them if they see something that concerns them.
10) This comes straight from the TSA website and should be a no-brainer: "TSA officers do not react well to travelers who are loud, belligerent, or disrespectful. Don’t joke about the words 'bomb' or 'terrorist' while going through screening."
Copyright 2016 KING